Monday 17 August 2009

Mr Toppit and the pond

Finished reading ‘Mr Toppit’ by Charles Elton. It’s a about a family dealing with the death of their father and the aftermath of the children’s books he wrote, becoming famous. It did start well, but once the action moves to Los Angles in the second have the book loses momentum. It feels as if it’s going for a bunch of easy targets. Also it starts to build up to revelations that once revealed are not that much of a shock.

Sometime this week, I’m going to have to help my parents clean out a pond and put a new liner in. Now there are two types of garden pond. There are the ones with the nice clear water, where the Koi Carp swim, where you can see the bottom of the pond. Then there are the ponds which have gone feral. The greenery is covering the surface of the water and is starting to creep out of it. The bottom is covered with black slime that smells as if an abattoir and sewage plant were sharing the same room. Guess which one is in our garden?

First day of redundancy and it already feels as if there are a thousand things I need to do and want to do. Still I suppose that’s a good thing. This morning I was able to wake up at 7.00am. Take it from me, when it is usually 5 – 5.30am, that counts as an improvement.

1 comment:

  1. I'll do your share of rooting through pond filth if you like. *Big smile*

    You don't have a huge sense of smell anyway? Is it really that bad? I mean it must be if you can smell it.. or perhaps your just not used to nasty smells. I played on Pig farms as a child, I bet it'll be child's play. :3

    ReplyDelete